Most popular city destinations according to MasterCard - London tops the 2015 Global Destination Cities Index
A recurring favourite - London, has once again taken the top position at the 2015 MasterCards Global Destination Cities Index, a ranking for the most popular business and city break destinations worldwide.
It is estimated that the British capital will receive 18.82 million visitors in 2015. See also: Car hire London-Heathrow Airport (or switch the location to London-Stansted, London-Luton, London-Gatwick or London-City Airport).
WizzAir guide to London attractions:
Thailand’s capital, Bangkok, scored close to London, with an estimated 18,240,000 visitors in 2015.
The most visited cities in the world in 2015 according to MasterCards are:
- London, England - 18,820,000 visitors
- Bangkok, Thailand, 18.24 million visitors
- Paris, France, 16.06 million visitors
- Dubai, United Arab Emirates, 14.26 million visitors
- Istanbul, Turkey, 12.56 million visitors
- New York, United States, 12.27 million visitors
- Singapore, the city-state Singapore, 11.88 million visitors
- Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 11.12 million visitors
- Seoul, South Korea, 10.35 million visitors
- Hong Kong, China, 8.66 million visitors
- Tokyo, Japan, 8.08 million visitors
- Barcelona, Spain, 7.63 million visitors
- Amsterdam, Netherlands, 7.44 million visitors
- Rome, Italy, 7.41 million visitors
- Milan, Italy, 7.17 million visitors
- Taipei, Taiwan, 6.55 million visitors
- Shanghai, China, 5.85 million visitors
- Vienna, Austria, 5.81 million visitors
- Prague, Czech Republic, 5.47 million visitors
- Los Angeles, USA, 5.2 million visitors
The study by MasterCard also shows that it is in London where the visitors spend the most money per night, followed by New York and Paris
Compared to the 2014 results, there have not been major changes in the ranking: 17 city destinations including the 4 most popular cities remained the same. The major shift was the rapidly ascending in popularity Istanbul which in 2014 was listed in the 7th position. New York and Singapore, for a change, both moved one place down the list.
Nine European cities are in the top 20 of most visited city destinations. The next European candidate outside the top 20 is Munich, in Germany. The study further shows that the most visitors to London arrive from New York, Amsterdam, Dublin Frankfurt and Stockholm.