Rent a car in Zakynthos Airport - compare car hire in Zakynthos, Greece
Zakynthos International Airport - ZTH, officially known as “Dionysios Solomos” Airport is the only airport serving the Greek island of Zakynthos.
Zakythos, also known as Zante, is located in the Ionian Sea, west of the Peloponnese Peninsula. See Zakythos on the map of Greece.
The airport receives most of the traffic during the summer months, as Zakynthos is a popular beach holiday destination. Year-round flights to Zakynthos are available form Greece mainland (Athens) and other Greek islands.
Summer rental on Zakynthos - a VW Beetle Convertible
Rent a car and make the most of your holiday in Zakynthos
Car hire is a great way of enhancing your holiday experience on Zakynthos: the islands has a comfortable and fairly new network of roads (built after the 1953 earthquake which destroyed most of the original infrastructures) and car services are widely available both at Zakynthos Airport and in the city centre.
Zakynthos Airport car rental providers
At Zakythos Airport it is possible to rent cars from airport-based providers, such as Hertz, Thrifty, Europcar, as well as from the off-side car hire companies, amongst them: Auto Union, Avis Rent A Car, Budget, Olympic Car Rentals or Green Motion.
Please note that the car hires companies which do not have offices at the airport, deliver rental vehicles to the customer upon arrival, on a “meet&greet” basis, or provide courtesy shuttle bus to their rental stations in a short distance from the airport.
Book well in advance for cheap car hire in Zakynthos
Early booking are advisable for price-conscious travellers who intend to hire a car in Zakynthos Airport in the summer.
Although Zakynthos car rental is, generally, cheaper than on other popular Greek islands, such as Crete or Rhodes, in the busiest period for tourism – in July and August – the prices of car hire increase considerably, especially if the booking is made late.
Search engines of car hire, such as Cartrawler, allow you to compare prices of Zakynthos Airport rental cars at different time of the year and to book online, once you have found the ideal offer.
A Ford Fiesta is an economic solution for car hire and offers a lot of space for the price. © Photo: Find-cheap-car-hire.co.uk.
Zakynthos car hire off-season – Zakythos weather
The island of Zakynthos is blessed with a mild climate and many sunny days throughout the year. The temperatures in Zakynthos remain over 20 degrees Celsius for the large part of the year, allowing to escape the tourist crowds - and inflated prices - of July and August.
Should your schedule allow it, book your Zakynthos holiday in early Autumn and be surprised by the accessible rates of car hire.
Visit Zakynhtos - facts about Zakynthos
- Zakynthos is the third largest island of the Ionian Sea after Corfu and Kefalonia
- ZakynthosTown is the island’s capital. One third of Zakynthos population, approx. 10.000 inhabitants resides in Zakynthos Town.
- Kalamaki, Keri,Tsilivi and Alykes/Alikanas are the most popular resorts of Zakynthos. See map of Zakynthos.
- Laganas is the “party” resort of Zakynthos, offering a wide choice of discos, bars and night clubs.
- Navagio beach, one of the most beautiful beaches of Zakynthos accessible only by boat is named after a shipwreck which still can be seen here in the central part of the beach.
- In 1953, a major earthquake destroyed most of the island’s towns and villages and cause a large part of the population to flee Zakynthos. In the first decade of 2000, the so called earthquake swarm phenomenon was felt on Zakynthos, without any major damage and fatalities. All the island’s infrastructures have been rebuilt and developed since the 1953 earthquake and thriving tourism is one of the pillars of Zakynthos’ economy.
- Zakynthos is a major nesting area for the loggerhead turtles (caretta caretta) which come massively to lay the eggs on Zakynthos’s beaches. Zakynthos Airport ceases operations between midnight and 4 am in order not to disturb the turtles which bread at night.
UK flights to Zakynthos
Seasonal flights from various UK airports to Zakynthos are available from low-cost carriers Easyjest, Jet2 and Monarch Airlines, as well as from charter operators Thomas Cook Airlines and Thomson Airways (data for summer 2014).